Selling On Your Own
Every year there are a small number of people who decide to try to privately sell their own home and often walk away losing a lot of money, or worse are involved in a lawsuit that may take months to settle. We call them FSBOs or (For Sale By Owners). These sellers that try to sell their homes, without the aid of a licensed real estate agent, are in hope of saving some money and in today’s complex real estate market, most are very disappointed. Not only do these homeowners need help to prepare their home for sale according to demands of today’s buyer preferences, but they venture into the land of pricing, marketing, screening, scheduling, showing and paperwork that they are not prepared for.
The National Association of Realtors® researches and surveys these sales every year. For the past six years, their research has concluded that homes sold with a Realtor® tend to net the seller an average of 15% more than those homes sold by the owner themselves.
More telling is the fact that 40 percent of all FSBOs sold their homes to someone they knew prior to the transaction. This means that only 7 percent of all home sales are open market transactions. The rest are simply unrepresented sellers in private transactions.
- 18% of FSBO indicated that preparing the home for sale was the most difficult task;
- 16% said understanding and preparing paperwork;
- 15% said selling within their desired time frame.
As for profit – after all is said and done, FSBOs don’t always come out with more money. Again, the numbers tell the truth.
Homes sold with the help of a real estate professional over the past five years sold on average for 32 percent more than FSBO sales. So if the median FSBO selling price is $187,200, the average price by using a Realtor® would be $247,000.
Just Think For A Minute, If You Were A Buyer, Why Would You Want To Not Receive All The Free Services And Professional Help Provided By A Realtor® And Buy A Home Direct From The Owner?
The only reason would be to save money, right? Or the home you are looking at is a one of a kind property that you have been waiting to come on the market for years, slim chance but possible.
Now For Sale By Owners: Why have you decided to sell it on your own without using all the services of a Realtor®? Save money right? So both you and the buyer are trying to save the same money. Who do you think will negotiate the savings in this market? Or will both of you spend a lot of money hiring an attorney, paying too much for a mortgage, or not getting all the free services provided to both buyers and sellers by a professional real estate associate?
Here are just a few of the things we do at RE/MAX, the Matthias Group for our buyers and sellers.
For Buyers we will:
- Buyer Counseling Session
- Financing Pre-Qualification Options
- Buyer Needs Discussed at Group and Office Meetings
- Showing Booklets/Property Search
- Comparable Market Research
- Listing History of Interested Homes
- Professional Negotiations
- Building & Radon Inspection Recommendations
- O & E (Ownership & Encumbrances)
- One Year Home Warranty
- Professional Cleaning of Home if Needed
- Walk-Through Prior to Closing
- After Sale Service
- Excellence in Service With The Matthias Real Estate Group. Support & Availability
For Sellers we will:
- 2 Hours of Handyman Service
- Home Warranty
- Pre-Title Commitment
- Professional Staging
- Professional Measurement To Verify Square Footage
- Professional Photography Pictures by 360house.com
- 360house.com Virtual Tour Placed On CD’s For The Home
- Showing Beacon
- Special Feature Silent Tour
- Website Publications
- Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Brochures
- Full Color Flyers At SMDRA Marketing Sessions
- Monthly Newsletters Featuring Listings
- New Listing Ad Featured In The Buyer’s Guide
- New Listing Ad Featured In Your Local Newspaper
- Input Into The MLS (Metro Listing Service)
- All Showings Followed Up & Agents Called For Feedback
- Open Houses When Available
- Once The Property Is Under Contract Meet The Appraiser With Comparables Of Your Home
- Professional Cleaning Before Closing
- Most Important: Consistent Communication Between You and Our Team
Don’t expect all Realtors® to provide the same services we provide as there is a huge difference in the services provided and the experience that a Realtor® has. We’d be glad to talk to you about selling your home, and review our qualifications with you—just give us a call!